Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Living Like You're on Vacation



Maybe it's the weather, or the fact that I get off of work so much earlier with my new job, or baby's adorably tiny jellies, or the fact that we grilled out three days in a row, whatever it is this whole week has felt like we were on vacation. Perhaps we're all living vicariously through big brother whose first last day of school was his past Friday. I miss summer vacation so much. I never realized how special they were back when I had them. I'm going to special lengths to make sure big brother knows  that summer vacations are fleeting and that each moment should be savored.

It started Sunday when we went shopping at an outdoor shopping mall. It was close to our new house, but we hadn't been there yet. Baby used her big girl stroller for the first time and we all took turns pushing her around, even big brother. The combination of the tourist type shopping setting and having to wear sunglasses so as not to squint masked the fact that we were still at home. My husband looked at me and said, "It feels like we're on vacation," and I realized that it did. We were all relaxed and worn out from the sun, and we were all together. 



We took a break from grilling out tonight to continue our staycation vibe. My husband is obsessed with both water and eating outside. Usually when we decide to go out to eat I'm having a craving that trumps everyone else's opinions, but since I get off work two and a half hours earlier than what I'm used to, I wasn't hungry yet when we decided where to go. Hubby chose a restaurant that combines water and outdoor dining - a restaurant at a nearby marina. It worked. Once again we were transported to a carefree vacation mindset: the sun sparkling on the water, Kenny Chesney playing in the background, the occasional whiff of smoke or that unmistakable lake water smell. 

We will definitely be back to that restaurant. If not for the atmosphere to try this menu item. We may have to bring a few more people to share it with. 


That's right! The buns are grilled cheese sandwiches. Who could resist? If you're interested in giving it a go, let me know. I at least want to take a picture of this monstrosity. 

Our first week into summer vacation has been successful so far. If we can keep up the exciting vacation mindset, who knows what the rest of the summer will hold?

1 comment:

Marisa said...

Lovely post...and now I want to see that burger. I might not eat it, but I want to see it! Here's hoping this laid back sense of wonderment continues! Everyone needs a little staycation every now and then, and even better if you can pull it off in the midst of everyday life.