Wednesday, May 1, 2013

No Words


Sometimes there are no words. Sometimes a day or an event takes your breath away and with your breath your words go also. Today is one of those days. Horrific events have happened to a very close friend of mine and I have no words. When I find myself in a situation where the perfect magical words of healing and enlightenment won't come, I find it better to use presence. Just to sit with someone who is hurting and hold them when they need to be held says more than any words I could have put together anyway. 

Remember Job. After he lost absolutely everything in his life, his two friends sat with him. One tried to talk with him, but didn't have the right words. The other friend just sat with Job and let his presence be known. Though the first friend meant well, his words were not healing or comforting. I would rather be the quiet friend who shows compassion through silence. 

So tonight since I can't be with my friend physically, I'm holding her in my mind and praying for God to do the same.

No comments: